Tuesday 12 April 2011

Year Zero.

Well, why do this, I ask myself.
Various reasons.  I needed somewhere to put down what actually goes on behind the scenes at Octopus Tattoo,(www.gerrycarnelly.co.uk) where I labour to produce some good quality tattoos, and generally get on everyone's wick, and some of the rubbish that comes out of my head, so it's sort of a brightly coloured rubbish dump! Doesn't smell as much though.....
 There'll be a lot of tattooing and art on display, and I'll also be documenting The Third Mind Collective's monthly sessions, which is an art collective that I put together five months ago. Also, I listen to a lot of music of the non-manstream variety, and watch a ton of movies, so there's going to be a fair bit of that as well.
If you feel like sifting through the detritus, like the poor sods in Brazil who live in the dump itself, then be warned, you may not like some of what you read.  But you can feel free to sling retorts like sharpened stalactites and destroy my ever -expanding ego before it takes over THE WORLD!!!!!
Just before I go any further, I'd like to say that I REALLY don't like the idea of ripping people's custom tattoo designs off the internet, so be smart, and try to find your own ideas elsewhere. I accept it can't be stopped, which sucks but is a truth, but please try to focus on INSPIRATION, NOT IMITATION!!

IAN'S TATTOO
Ian's the Dad of a customer of mine who I did a mexican sugar skull on a wee while ago. Here it is...
I liked doing this one, the style was a departure from my usual, which is a lot more three dimensional, I fancied stripping it down and doing something more graphic. I like the eyes, it has a crafty expression because of the central spirals, which was accidental, but once I noticed it, I liked it and left it in.
I also liked the little guys coming out of the nose, they remind me of Willo The Wisp, which was an early 80's animated kid's show about a talking cloud of marsh gas, more of a fart with Kenneth William's face on it really. The bad guy was an evil TV set with a really pissed off face on it called Evil Edna. It was quite bizarre. Here's a link...
http://youtu.be/sAwtC0b_gf4

Ian wanted something along the same lines as an Uncle Allan piece he'd seen in a magazine, which was an awesome tattoo of a hand holding an all seeing eye pyramid, which was radiating light. The wrist ended in a traditional style rose. Beautiful piece of work. I had a lot to live up to.
But it was just my kind of thing, and Ian was cool about letting me put my own touch to it. He also wanted a snake in there, which was a double bonus, as I love doing snake tattoos, even though drawing them drives me nuts to this day! They never seem to have that power that someone like Grime gets with his. By the way, Grime's going to get mentioned a fair few times as we go on, as he is undeniably THE SHIT as far as I'm concerned. Don't want to do his thing, but he is a big influence on me at the moment.
So I started scribbling, we'd already decided not to have the all-seeing eye, as that would make it too close to the Uncle Allan tattoo, so I went for the simpler option of just putting an eye in the palm. Ian had wanted an Eastern feel to it also, so I opted for Tibetan style flames. I put the snake winding around the wrist, but it just didn't seem "alive" enough, and I felt it could be more dynamic. Here's the first draft....

So after a while, I came up with the idea of making the snake head larger, so I could have it's mouth open at the base of the wrist, to make it look as if it was attempting to swallow the wrist. the flames would be emanating from the tongue, which would be flowing up towards the eye, to bring the viewer's attention to the centre. The eye is a powerful image, so bringing everything to bear on that area, I thought it would add to the impact.
Then another idea involving the snake came to me.  I'd wanted to do it in a tradtional sort of style, heavy black and solid areas of colour which would contrast with the three dimensional hand. So I was thinking about patterns to put on the back of the snake, and in keeping with the "eye" theme, put some eye markings along the length of the snake, and also made it blind, with a milky blue eye. I was starting to get really excited about doing it now, and it was difficult to keep the design simple, as so many options and ideas started occurring to me.
It's something I've learnt over the years, that restraint is very important. It's as much what you leave out as what you put in, to keep the picture balanced and readable.
So once everything was pepared, and the stencil had been applied, time to get down to work....




And after 6 hours, I made the final wipe down, and uttered the words every tattoo customer longs to hear.....
"Right, we're done...would you like to have a look in the mirror?"
Here's what he ended up with.....
He was made up, and I felt like I'd done a proper smart tattoo to put on my website. The best thing was a couple of days later, I got an answerphone message from Ian saying how pleased he was with his new piece, which let me know that I'd done a good job, and earned another happy client! BONUS!!

1 comment:

  1. thanks for the peak into the world of carnelly! I love reading art blogs and I'm glad I have the chance to understand your process a bit better...thanks for the inspiration buddy!

    -joe king

    ReplyDelete